Sign in to follow this  
Hallberg

Arma 32-bit out of memory

Arma randomly crashes for me every other op. When looking in the rpt file, the error is slightly different each time, but it's always related to "out of memory". I currently run the 32-bit version of Arma, which has a 4GB memory limit. The problem seems to occur more frequency than before, I suspect this may be related to changes in the repo.

I've tried using the 64-bit version, but it can't load any missions for me. I'm using windows 7, and the issue seems to be known by BI.

https://dev.arma3.com/known-issues

When I try to install the update they are suggesting I get an error message telling me it can't be applied on the computer (maybe I already have it?).

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than upgrading the OS?

A few other people have had similar issues. In their case we narrowed it down to CBA keybinds and some types of keyboard.  Try changing any custom keybinds that use Windows keys (left/right windows or the app key).  Ensure they are removed from Custom Keybinds as well as Add-ons (Oprions-Controls-Configure Add-ons), and set them to something different like ctrl-x or whatever.  Typically this applies to ACE and ALiVE menus and interact keys.

Also get Win10 and run 64 bit 😀

I only had the app key bound (I don't have a left windows key on my keyboard), but it still didn't work. It was worth a try though.

Btw, I assumed that the change of keybindings were related to the 64-bit-issue and not the "out of memory"-issue.

See if you have any flight sticks plugged in as well. It may give some issues as well.

Reading though that "know issue list"

32 bit OS users (especially with 2 GB of RAM) << Who the hell is running this pop tart toaster esp with Arma3?

As to your issue, In the launcher have you set the memory allocator to "default" as opposed to "system" as a test?

Btw, I assumed that the change of keybindings were related to the 64-bit-issue and not the "out of memory"-issue.

Nope.  CBA key bind callbacks cause out of memory errors on some keyboards that use very long strings for special keys.

So far I've done the following:

• Rebound the app key (for Alive menu)
  • Unplugged flight pedals (I thought they were unplugged already)

As the error is intermittent and only occurs after a few hours of gameplay, I'll have to test it for the next few ops before knowing if it worked.

Regarding the memory allocator, I previously had not ticked that box. So I assume it uses the "default" option then ("Intel TBB 4 allocator" in my case)? Other options are "Windows allocator (system)" and "JEMalloc allocator (jemalloc_bi)". Should I tick it and set it to "default" anyway?

I don't think that should help me. Although Chrome uses a lot of memory, it's the 4GB of memory the 32-bit application can access that's the problem for me. I have 16GB RAM, so even with both Chrome and Arma running I should have 6-7GB of RAM to spare.

When i switched to the 64 Bit version of Arma it auto selected "Intel TBB 4 allocator(64bit)" - not sure about the brackets bit on the end not at desktop

I've only had 2 crashes - 1 x blame laird / 1 x randomly when disconnecting after an op

Seems fairly stable since then though .....

I've tried using the 64-bit version, but it can't load any missions for me. I'm using windows 7, and the issue seems to be known by BI.

https://dev.arma3.com/known-issues

When I try to install the update they are suggesting I get an error message telling me it can't be applied on the computer (maybe I already have it?).

You can check if it is installed in "Control Panel>Programs>Programs&Features>view installed updates" and then search for the KB number of the update. If it isn't there might be some dependency that is missing.

Ironically, I got this same message last night after the CTR training.

The only difference that i can recall was i left the server with "esc > abort > disconnect" as opposed to being pushed straight through to the disconnect screen at endex .....

Ironically, I got this same message last night after the CTR training.

The only difference that i can recall was i left the server with "esc > abort > disconnect" as opposed to being pushed straight through to the disconnect screen at endex .....

I got the same error message. I have a screenshot of it, but it's written in Dutch.

I think I got the same error message (like a windows system error message?), but I'm not sure if it was after the CTR-training or the "fun/test op"on Tuesday.

To clarify, that's not the same error as I described at the start of the topic. The "CTR error" occurred when exiting the application. My "out of memory error" causes the application to hang itself mid op, and the "out of memory" message is only written in the rpt-file.

And as an update on that error, I didn't crash on either Tuesday or Wednesday, so it could be working. Although, I think the crashes only occurs in intense moments, when there's a lot of enemies engaging us (e.g. Sunday's op when the platoon RV was attacked by the QRF). Tuesday's op didn't include that many own troops and there weren't that many enemies engaging us simultaneously (although there were a lot of enemies on the map). Wednesday op didn't include any engagements (for my section at least).

Edit: I got the weekdays mixed up. I seem to be in full vacation-mode.

When i switched to the 64 Bit version of Arma it auto selected "Intel TBB 4 allocator(64bit)" - not sure about the brackets bit on the end not at desktop

I've only had 2 crashes - 1 x blame laird / 1 x randomly when disconnecting after an op

Seems fairly stable since then though .....

Try system memory allocation in stead.

Also 32 bit will run out of memory often because your amount of memory is just severely limited. The game will have AT MOST 3 GB of memory available, after which Windows start loading data into your pagefile. Shoud that fill up, or if you've disabled it, your game will crash. It is important to switch to 64 bit because there is a lot more memory for the system to address, I've seen RAM usage go up to 14 GB on my system while VRAM is hitting 8 GB. 32 bit is ancient tech.

You can also read this: https://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-64-bit-executables

ANYWAY, if you for some reason just can not switch to 64 bit, turning your view distance down in the settings (Game as well as ALiVE) will use way less memory, but also you will see less.

Yes it can run fine on 32 bit. Doesn't mean that it doesn't benefit from 64 bit massively, it can and it does.