Sign in to follow this  
Hallberg

The fate of my PC

I was thinking about buying Ghost Recon Wildlands, but noticed that it didn't support my graphics card. Although the general specifications of my card should be sufficient for minimum requirements, so maybe it will work anyway.

I've had my computer for more than 4 years now, and I usually replace it after ~5 years, so it's almost time.

This is my current setup:

Silver Power SP-S750 750W PSU

ASUS P8Z77-V

Intel Core i5-3570K

PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5

Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GB

Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 256GB (for OS and programs)

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD (for games)

Western Digital® Desktop Green 2TB (file storage)

Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224BB

If I buy a new computer it will probably look something like this:

Corsair RM550x 550W PSU

ASUS Z170-A

Intel Core i5-7600K

Gainward GeForce GTX 1070 Phoenix

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 16GB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD (new, for OS and programs) (maybe 250GB is sufficient?)

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD (from old setup)

Western Digital® Desktop Green 2TB (from old setup)

Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224BB (from old setup)

The alternatives I'm thinking about is:

1. Buy a new computer with an i5-7600K and a GTX 1070.

2. Only upgrade the graphics card to a GTX 1070 and buy a new computer in a few years.

3. (Assuming the game works on my current setup) Wait ~1 year before buying.

Any suggestions?

Why bother getting another PSU? If it aint broke dont fix it. You would be losing some Watts, they may come in handy. I just upgrading from the same chip myself but I went for a 7700K instead.

Otherwise seems ok.

A 1070 seems pretty damn good right now, however if you drop the new SSD and dont get a new PSU could you get the 1080?

I dont know about ATI Gpus very well but the CPU should be ok, I played wildlands on that chip (OC to 4GHz mind you) with a GTX 970 and was fine.

Guest χaroν

You've basically my same PC (3770k running at 4.23 GHz). I have added a 1070 and I have no FPS issues whatsoever. Imo you should start from here.

About CPUs, Ryzen is coming and probably Intel will answer by cutting its prices. Maybe it's worth waiting a few weeks more.

My argument for getting a new PSU and SSD is to keep the old computer working. In case something goes wrong during the build, or I figure out some other use for it. This is the first time I'm building the entire computer myself. In the past I've just selected parts and paid for assembly, and performed minor upgrades myself (hard drives and RAM).

Regardless of buying PSU and SSD or not I can still afford the 1080, but is it worth the extra cost?

My main concern with just upgrading the graphics card is that the rest of the computer will still be "old" and would have to be replaced in a few years. I'll then get more or less forced to only upgrade just the graphic card a few years later. With my current "buy a new computer every ~5 years"-plan I only need to worry about these things once every ~5 years, which is nice.

So in regards to CPU I should wait a few more weeks. Is there any "waiting time" in regards to graphics cards as well (e.g. supplier x releases y in z months)?

I'm pretty sure you'll be pretty sortee by just doing a gpu upgrade for now

1070 is awesome I really enjoy it and unless you're really aiming for 4k 144fps it's not really neccesary to get a 1080 or 1080ti, it might be a more future proof though

Personally if I could afford it I would get the 1080.

If I were you, and I was, a few months ago, I would buy the new graphics card and overclock your i5. I have the same model, and with a custom heatsink it easily clocks to 4.2, no issues for months so far. If it burns out, you can still get the new computer.

Similar position myself, I have the i5 4690K over clocked to 4.2 and had no issues for the last 2 months.

Next upgrade for me is to a GTX1070 from a GTX770 4GB to future proof myself a little, then at some stage switch out to a SSD for the main drive.

Guest χaroν

With a decent heat sink (40-50€) and an good case you can overclock *a lot* with no heat issues. I have overclocked my CPU by ~750Mhz almost 4 years ago and it still runs cools (never exceeds 55 deg under heavy load - ~80 deg in Prime95).

A very underrated yet great improvement is the case: I have a Corsair Carbide 300R and it helps immensily the heat dissipation, cutting down the fans noise at same time.

Similar position myself, I have the i5 4690K over clocked to 4.2 and had no issues for the last 2 months.

Next upgrade for me is to a GTX1070 from a GTX770 4GB to future proof myself a little, then at some stage switch out to a SSD for the main drive.

Pffft, just get the 1080. Or 1080 TI...

i just replaced my gfx card and I mulled over the 1070/80 decision and went for the 1070.

its the absolute business. really really good with every single game I've tried and the monitor software says its not anywhere close to maxing out.

couldn't recommend it more highly. it transformed my 3 year old pc into a beast again. I have an i5 4670K and find it perfectly ok at the moment, but sometimes it struggles so its next on my list to replace. yours might need overclocking to keep up.

Pffft, just get the 1080. Or 1080 TI...

Yes, the £150 difference buys me the 500Gb SSD i want  :P

Guest χaroν

Yep, but it will cost as two 1070  :o

EDIT:

67LfWCyUmDgjfjar7EbWCZ-650-80.png

Imo the 1070 is the best compromise between price, performance and value-over-time (←is there a word for that?  :-\ ).

I'm leaning toward the overclock + new graphics card option. I currently only have the stock CPU cooler, and it feels like the high end coolers cost as much as half a new processor, so I'd rather get away as cheap as possible. I'm thinking about a "be quiet! Pure Rock". Do you think that will be sufficient for overclocking my i5-3570K to at least 4.0 GHz?

With my stock cooler, the core temperatures are around 85º at 100% load (using prime95) all ready, and I don't want to go much higher than that. Also, at that load, I don't have any issues with the sound. So a relatively loud but effective cooler should not be a problem.

Guest χaroν

This is my heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Dissipatore CPU Intel 2011/1366/1156/1155/1150/775 AMD FM1/AM3+/AM2

Paid 28€ VAT included. As I said, I have a 3770k 3.5 GHz stock running at 4.22 GHz for 4 years, it never exceedes ~55 deg under heavy load. A good case helps a lot though.

Arma related stuff: moving from an overclocked 770GTX to a 1070, I have only gained 5-6 fps in ArmA3. I have gained much, much more by overclocking CPU and RAM first, then optimizing the launch parameters (xtbbmalloc and forcing 8 cores. 10 cores in the last performance build with large pages, etc).

Arma related stuff: moving from an overclocked 770GTX to a 1070, I have only gained 5-6 fps in ArmA3

Glad you mentioned the above was thinking of upgrading to the 1070, but may now just overclock my GTX770 and wait for the price to come down more.

Guest χaroν

CPU is the bottleneck so upgrading the GPU allows you to activate or increase some effects such as textures quality or AA (which burden the GPU) but does not really increase your average fps.

Just to sum it up:

FPS → overclock CPU, RAM; tweak ArmA

Effects/video quality → GPU

Stuttering/loading time → move to SSD

So, back in topic, I'd suggest to overclock the CPU, see the results and then choose what to upgrade. If we want to talk about arma performance more in depth we should open a new thread maybe.

Arma related stuff: moving from an overclocked 770GTX to a 1070, I have only gained 5-6 fps in ArmA3

Glad you mentioned the above was thinking of upgrading to the 1070, but may now just overclock my GTX770 and wait for the price to come down more.

Bear in mind our mod pack is also a killer of FPS so not the best thing to judge with.

I gained very few FPS going to a 1080 (MP). However, I am now able to render the game at 200% and get the same FPS!

Last time I upgrade I went from an AMD fx8320 + gtx 770 4gb. The 770 paired with my new 6600k CPU made a massive difference in frames on arma, to the point it started to thermal throttle until I replaced the thermal compound in the GPU.

Guest IgelQott

CPU is the bottleneck so upgrading the GPU allows you to activate or increase some effects such as textures quality or AA (which burden the GPU) but does not really increase your average fps.

Just to sum it up:

FPS → overclock CPU, RAM; tweak ArmA

Effects/video quality → GPU

Stuttering/loading time → move to SSD

So, back in topic, I'd suggest to overclock the CPU, see the results and then choose what to upgrade. If we want to talk about arma performance more in depth we should open a new thread maybe.

I'm sorry but this is not accurate.

CPU is a bottleneck only in low resolutions, once the GPU can spin faster than the CPU, and that only happenes if you run games on lets say 720p and low gaphics settings, then the CPU can't keep up with the frames the GPU unleashes.

a CPU today, in 1080p or higher is almost never a bottleneck as the GPU can't push out enough frames for it to become one.

So with that said, the only upgrade needed for Hallbergs computer is a new graphics card. The I5 is more than capable of supplying the frames need for lets say a 1070 flex it muscles and be the bottleneck of the system.

I want to add that some Games are more CPU heavy than others, and some games benefit from having more cores, but in general 4 fast cores beats 8 slower cores in most games. Thats why the i3 sometimes beats the i7 in most games, as it has faster clocked but fewer cores.

Also want to add, Arma Multiplayer doesnt follow this logic, as its limited by the server fps (ish) or something with the net code and thus upgrading your computer sadly have little effect on the fps in-game during ops. Pop in Arma singleplayer and you will experience the 100+ frames however.

Must be spring, hibernation has ended and a wild hedgehog appears!  Do we need to fatten you up on worms?