Sign in to follow this  
Teasel

Keyboard recommendations

Anyone have a particularly nice/fancy/durable/pleasurable to use keyboard that they would recommend?

I've got a Corsair K30. Think a few others here have keyboards in the same K# range. The keys aren't recessed, so it makes cleaning easy since they sit raised-up, and they seem pretty durable. Been using it for about a year and a half now, and there's not been any wear and tear, or keys coming loose, or any other aesthetic or functional defects occurring.

I have an older Logitech G15 that I got off ebay years ago and still going strong.

Lights on the keys at 3 settings

Win Key lock

6 functions keys with 3 preset modes (so 18 extra programmable keys)

Small screen (not colour) which can be handy for some things.

Membrane style keyboard so light touch easy to use.

Multimedia keys (back next pause mute vol up/down)

auto profile load on game start.

Grooves underneath it to run your cables into

2xUSB ports (probably only USB 1.0 however)

Unlike bens this is not raised so cleaning is harder.

I like it but its an older model. Your first thoughts should be if you want membrane keys or mechanical, mechanical also has varying levels of stiffness and can be noisy.

Thanks guys, I was thinking mechanical, cherry red mx seem to make a nice compromise between noisiness and responsiveness.

The feedback has given me a nice place to start though.

Guest Songfire

Running with a K70 with red switches at the moment. Had a coolermaster quickfire with blues for about a year, but the switch (hehe) to reds are really great, And they donøt make nearly as much sound! The coolermaster keyboard had a really sweet black design and not a lot of flashy shit. Unfortunatly the K70 is backlit and can be costumized with so many different colours and unecessary animations. Kept mine with a low lit white background.

Wow, the Blackwidow X Tournament Edition Chroma is one fun keyboard! I think something more, demure, a little less distracting!

I'm using Steelseries G6V2. A mechanical keyboard, no extra buttons or fancy colours.

My only issue with it is that the left windows key is substituted with a "function"-key and can't be mapped to any in-game action. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I knew that in advance, but now I've gotten used to it.

If you want to go cheap and simple without sacrificing quality, I have a mechanical Rosewill (Newegg brand, not even sure if you can get that in the UK) and the switches are Cherry switches just like you would get in a more expensive keyboard, has a nice metal base for the keys, good and heavy with a sturdy feel. Had it for like 4 years and still types like the day I bought it.

Guest Spring

Iam using the G19 Keyboard and still going super strong and just enjoy it generally.

Thanks guys! /this has certainly given me plenty to look at and loads to choose from!  ;D

Big T, they have update on that keyboard one I linked so you might want to look at it again

I got a Corsair K70 last Christmas, which is my first mechanical keyboard (well ignoring typewriters  :P) it's a lot of fun to use, and can confirm cherry red is not too clacky. Under £100 on Amazon. My pennyworth.

It's the only thing you should consider if you want a keyboard that is mechanical but you don't need extra macro's or fancy screens

Do you mean programmable keys? I have one bound for auto walk, and have programmed a mouse button (same brand) for the radio. Other wise nothing else.

Tbg have just been lazy, I could probably bind the keys for things like the radio interface or the GPS but just havent been arsed.

Thanks all, finally decided!

You were all a huge help! Can't thank you enough  :-*

Elite, you didn't even chip in!!

The winner was a Razer Blackwidow Chroma. Couldn't resist the rainbow!