Sign in to follow this  
Jonny

Current Affairs + News

Not all Arabs are terrorists, but all terrorists are Arabs. Orite, Ben's people ruined that one for us. Ta!

Not all humans are terrorists, but all terrorists are human. So how about we kill all humans to completely rule out the risk of terrorist attacks? That way we wouldn't have to debate intrusions into personal space and stuff.

nah I am basically fine with my argument as it is. Accountability is a fun word that just means inefficiency and meddling in a lot of cases. Also although channels do exist for accessing information, that information doesn't have to be stored so might not exist. this bill means that they have to actually store it so that it can be accessed in more than theory.

'paranoia' of their own citizens' is just your take on it, I don't see it like that at all.

personal liberty? this is what I just don't get, its just an idea in this context. I am not going to actually lose anything.

Yeah, except for the bit where the storage of information conflicts with Article 8 of the Human Rights Act, i.e. the right to privacy, including correspondence. You're talking about inefficiency? So taking everyone's data rather than targeting individuals under current provisions is more efficient? And yeah, funnily enough, accountability is important. Putting the power provided from current legislation from several authorities into one centralised authority removes accountability under this proposed legislation, and the measures under the bill set a precedent for abuse of power.

There's a subsection in the bill that states that any authority that is too large to allow for an officer to authorise investigations has the authority to warrant information acquisition of its own will. So basically any authorised body outside the Cabinet can access whatever information it wants. Companies at least are held accountable by legislation. Bit of a problem when the government is the one who proposes the legislation.

Your personal liberty is granted to you by law. What this legislation plans to do is in breach of civil liberties - see: the allowance of authorities to access information remotely on the devices you use. You can throw away your liberty and right to privacy if you want, I don't fancy that notion.

That kinda sums up my problem with the whole 'but mah rights' side of this argument.

'accountability is important', 'precedent for abuse of power', 'personal liberty', 'civil liberties', 'privacy', 'liberty'.

Too much idealism, too much exaggeration of the effects, extent and downsides of this. not enough practicality and realisation of how little this will actually affect everyone beyond marginally and theoretically infringing on their  rights.

I am not throwing away my liberty and privacy, that's just hyperbole. I am just fine with the state knowing what websites people visit and other data like that if they choose to investigate something that they think is important.

Guest smartmason

please......just......shut.....the......fuck.....up

Think this is the second part of this series. Thankfully lacking the annoying hipster chick from the first one!

Edit:

Apologies, there's actually quite a few in this series. This is just the latest released today.

Having recently spent a week with work in Estonia I can definitely vouch for the hatred of Russians by much of the population that I had contact with.  Enjoyed Talin though, beautiful old parts to the city and a very friendly vibe, although not quite a cheap as I was hoping!

The latest primaries in the States were noted in the news about how extensive the queues for voting were. Certainly a lot busier than when I voted in our last election! This guy filmed the whole line from one of the polling stations to the end. Nearly 10 minutes of walking the entire line, that's crazy.

On the one hand, lol, even Fox News is defending CNN. On the other hand, holy… even Fox News is defending CNN!

It's interesting how he managed to recover the term "fake news" to be associated with traditional media companies, where it used to be associated with actual fake news websites producing conservative facebook clickbait spam.

Its very effective how he turned it around. he understands that if you tell a lie often enough, a lot of people just accept it. No one talks about how his 'side' generates fake news anymore, its all gone defensive about mainstream stuff.

Its a common tactic by authoritarians to either in reaction or pre-emptively accuse your accusers of what you are doing yourself instead of denying or fighting it. its very effective deflection, it makes the people accusing you of it look petty. Russia does it as a matter of policy with their aggression in eastern Europe, Syrian intervention, propaganda war, the Olympic drugs scandal etc.