Sign in to follow this  
Guest niall

Movie Recommendations/Reviews/Trailers

The Siege of Firebase Gloria

I'm baffled how I've missed this 1979 film after all this time, I'm also baffled what to make of it.

On the face of it this is a highly predictable Vietnam war movie, clumsily laced with stock characters, cheesy dialogue, wooden acting, painfully awkward scenes, jarring pacing, terrible editing and continuity, and long action sequences that resemble nothing more than gangs of children 'playing army' all charging around, shooting from the hip and doing those endless twisting-around slow Hollywood death falls... I simply can't believe this film ever had a 'military advisor' though I'm not sure it had a Director or a Script Writer either.

BUT (classic mid review turnaround) it also has huge amounts of heart, an attempted (albeit shallow) perspective from both sides of the fight, some fun action sequences (even despite the above), hot huey flypasts, and some brutal gory reality of 'Nam war stuff that is some way beyond most films of the time and this budget. As a side bonus there are also no 'Doors' tracks which is actually a blessed relief.

But above all it also has R. Lee Ermey. He reprises his tough 'Full Metal Jacket' marine type role and in voice overs and all character appearances steals every single scene, he even shows a quite impressive acting range. Damn he's watchable.

This is on netflix and although it's odd and somewhat throwaway is still worth a watch.

Now please tell me I'm not the only one to have never seen - or heard of - this before?

USS Indianapolis

Cringeworthy amount of cliches

But surely it had the 'bamb' and Robert Shaw?

Watched Jaws on BIG SCREEN (for the first time ever) this last weekend - it seems to be a special limited time restored anniversary print.

Near perfect film. If you get the chance Go. Watch. It.

Also didn't think it possible but at full-size the 'bamb' speech was even MORE epic!

Just watched this (four parter) on the Falklands War 'Land Battles' -  never seen it before and although definitely a period piece is no less fascinating for all that. Appears to be intended as a training film for HM Forces, and even with the stiff (if ever so polite) talking heads there are some real gems, often laced with a mighty helping of understatement. Part 3 probably has most of interest re. the details of ground assault planning, recce and execution illustrated with maps and relief models - but the whole thing is pretty interesting with many details I didn't know -and I grew up with this war- even including the rather stilted and scripted 'lessons learned' in part 4 which is priceless film for its own reasons.

Best deadpan quote -of many- is from Cpl Newland MM 42 Cdo "he got me in both legs... but he then proceeded to die rather rapidly 'cos I was a bit upset"

Will check that out charles.

I found this about BRIXMIS which I had never heard of. Very interesting

Maybe not usual fare for here, but I watched this earlier this week and its actually pretty good - especially if you like a good meaty (modern) whodunnit for the Christmas break. DC's accent is also entertaining and the film is unexpectedly funny in parts, the cast are all clearly having a good time. Recommended.