Sign in to follow this  
Guest niall

Movie Recommendations/Reviews/Trailers

Yeah, second half was basically just "Jaws: The Prequel". Really, once you've seen one "shipwrecked in the Pacific" movie, you've seen the bloody lot of them. This one was really no different.

Alatriste, a movie based on a Spanish soldier of the 17th century (80 years war (not you Charles), Flanders War, 30 years war, etc.), starring Viggo Mortensen. Quite enjoyable well made movie from a rare, Spanish perspective.

Watched the film Brimstone on saturday.

That movie is fucking evil.

I enjoyed it. Started in present time, then had a flashback, then had a flashback within the flashback and then fastforwarded back to the original time to continue the story.

It's set in the time of the wild west, before the United States if I'm not mistaken.

Made by a Dutch director and won a lot of awards.

Recommended watch.

EDIT:

The film is almost Tarantino-like. So if you like those, this one would be an easy pick

Stranger things 2

Not as good as the first season I thought, probably because a lot of the mystery of the upside down has been taken away (although we're still unsure of the true nature of it, whatever it is) They seem to be setting it up for multiple seasons beyond season 2. New characters are mostly fun and I see some interesting theories popping up about Billy and his issues around the interwebz already. Overall it was a good season and I think the show will do well beyond it if they stick to what they're good at, small town america sci-fi stuff. The aesthetic is great and it's well worth a watch. 8/10.

6 days

Netflix film about the Iranian embassy siege. Nothing spectacular about it but not a bad film by any stretch. Worth a watch if you find yourself bored of playing with your penis on a friday night.

6 days

Netflix film about the Iranian embassy siege. Nothing spectacular about it but not a bad film by any stretch. Worth a watch if you find yourself bored of playing with your penis on a friday night.

I would agree, decent waste of time, nothing amazeballs.

Got stuck into Ken Burn's documentary "The Vietnam War". It's over 20hrs long, and I've watched the first two episodes. So far, excellent viewing.

Watched Justice League yesterday. Nothing spectacular but not a bad film. A popcorn movie. 6/10.

The Unknown Soldier. Third adaption of the book released for Finland's 100th year of independence. Great movie, only complaint is that I couldn't find a cinema here that aired the full 3 hour version.

Kenneth Branagh’s Murder On The Orient Express

Non stop over the top. Totally missed the low key acting and filming of David Suchet’s more British Poirot. This was all extremely American.

This is by far the best thing I've seen in 2017 (and it was in extremis)

This looks very promising, Iannucci is a brilliant comic writer (Thick of It, In the Loop, The Day Today, Alan Partridge)...

Just seen, very entertaining and well played. 1/1 Presidium of the Supreme Soviet!

I know others have already seen this, but today I've finished Ken Burns & Lynn Novick's 10 part documentary 'The Vietnam War'.

Two words Watch it.

Watched hitman's bodyguard last night. its a alightly terrible film with some absolutely amazing action sequences in it. well worth watching just for the insane street scenes, fights and car chases. maybe the best action stuff i have seen in a film since i realised that Arnie films are actually not that good.

The Captain (German: Der Hauptmann)

Tells the story of real life personality Willi Herold, a German soldier who, to put it mildly, decided to put his own spin on desertion, as well as the absurd lengths people would go to in obviously moral, and even by Nazi German laws, hideously illegal deeds as long as someone in a position of authority, however dubious, assumed responsibility, even willingly and with little coercion turning on their own. Quite dark and gruesome, but well made.