Sign in to follow this  
Guest niall

Movie Recommendations/Reviews/Trailers

Because no one but me lives outside the UK and/or can't access links to full length movies, got it!

I know this is not new to most (any?) of you, but I'm again working my way through my own guilty pleasure - the complete ITV Sharpe. I can't honestly explain the appeal given its shonky battle pieces, the cast of 'dozens', that same village set in every episode, the 'by God, Sir' characters, and those oddly unconvincing espionage plot devices.

But then something like this happens and it's all just way beyond perfect.

'OUTSIDE! NOW!' ... Oh Sean you big beautiful bastard, I'll be your chosen man.

Guest Kravoski

Watch Deepwater Horizon and Moonlight last night. Deepwater was really good a solid action/disaster movie, highly recommend. Moonlight was really good for the first half but then it turned into brokeback mountain in the ghetto halfway through. Some of you may enjoy it, looking at you Telfer.

Deepwater Horizon Trailer

Moonlight Trailer

suck me off punk

Also Patriots day though. Whalberg is a ledge

Guest Kravoski

Got that downloaded, will be watching it tonight for sure.

Guest Kravoski

Caught Patriot's Day last night, and agree with Telf, cracking film. Think I'll be watching Hacksaw Ridge later. I've got Fences and Hidden Figures to get through too at some point. I bloody love screener season. No Manchester by the Sea yet though.

Guest Kravoski

Couple more recommendations:

OJ: Made in America - Really fascinating documentary, he definitely did it in my opinion. If you do watch it be warned about Episode 4 where they go into the autopsy details, it's fucking horrific and I couldn't finish my burritos after seeing those images.

Captain Fantastic - In the forests of the Pacific Northwest, a father devoted to raising his six kids with a rigorous physical and intellectual education is forced to leave his paradise and enter the world, challenging his idea of what it means to be a parent.

This was much better than the synopsis made it sound.

The True Glory: The story of your victory...told by the guys who won it! was winner of the 1946 best documentary Oscar. It's allied propaganda of the time but the sheer variety of the footage, 'ordinary' voice-overs and clarity of direction by an uncredited Carol Reed (who also directed The Third Man and Mutiny on the Bounty) lifts this way above the usual wartime fare. I was quietly amused by the lyrical phrasing of the main link narrator - a pompous hybrid of Shakespeare and Coward - but it's the relentless and rapid cuts of film (and especially the faces) from the front lines between D-Day and the Fall of Berlin which are truly fascinating.

The pacing, music and editing may not suit those of younger years, but I'm amazed I've only just stumbled onto this gem. They really don't make them like this anymore.

[updated original link with above improved 'restored' edition]

Just came back from seeing Logan.

BAH GAWD what a film. Acting is excellent and the story is very touching.

I am somewhat a fan of those superhero films, but I am not the stereotypical geek that knows everything from all the universes.

I highly recommend this one as it will be good to non-superhero fans as well.

The film is R rated and rightfully so. No fags in sparkling swimsuits, but the rough bit (and I know VCB likes it rough :winky:)

The film left me with a lot of questions, though, which will probably be answered in future films, but that will probably take a couple of years.

Guest Kravoski

Logan is what all films really should've been like - pure violence. Actually went to the cinema for this one and it was worth every penny, audibly said "Holy fucking shit" during that first scene. The fight scenes were the best thing I've seen since the early Bourne films.

Netflix, Master of None, Season 2. Get your hipster on, it's fantastic! It's the greatest love story on the screen in a decade.

Okkupert (Occupied), Norwegian TV series. Not the most credible geopolitical setting, but overall it deals with subjects such as "Little Green Men", sovereignty, and collaboration and resistance quite interestingly. Especially the latter is portrayed in a fresh, less cliche manner than the typical sudden invasion, followed by Gestapo like brutes in leather coats turning up, deleting the current systems and copy pasting their own state organs into the occupied country. Rather it portrays a gradual corruption of local law enforcement, courts, government, etc. by means of tricking people into "doing what's best", threats, offering fast tracked careers, espionage, etc. Conversely resistance isn't always offered solely by people with entirely moral or sound motives.

Guest MarkT

Haven't seen much more about it than that trailer, but  all of that looked extremely barren. A movie about an operation entailing the evacuation of over 300,000 men, and I somehow never got the impression that there was anything at all beyond exactly what the camera was focusing at. Is some half decent CGI really that expensive?

I'll just leave this here then...

That's an amazing shot jesus. Must've taken so long to set up.

Very impressive. Definately have to watch this.

Hated the bit where the French bloke shot the horses, but I get it..

This looks very promising, Iannucci is a brilliant comic writer (Thick of It, In the Loop, The Day Today, Alan Partridge)...

Invasion 1897

Lol no!

...Netflix is fucking desperate to fill our their shitty, barren collection available outside the US and UK.

USS Indianapolis

Cringeworthy amount of cliches. Worst part has to be when they stoop to borrowing the “without, X I am worthless. Without me, Y is worthless” speech.