Jez

What I saw today...... (Photos of what you saw today). easy. Mobiles out lads..

I hope the Battle of Britain 75th anniversary will be good this year.  Very tempted to buy tickets.

It will be a good show I'm sure but it wont have quite the variety of the less specific ones. then again if all you want to see if a bunch of british planes buzzing around it will be great.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/flying-aircraft-list

It basicly the exact same list of aircraft we saw yesterday but without most of the American planes. so the 4 mustangs and the various carrier planes wont be there. still got more than a dozen spits flying together (in fact it claims as many as 20!) though and as a bonus the red arrows.

Spitfires, Mustangs, Corsairs, shiny P38.... dat Vulcan.... and is that a Beaufighter parked up in Rangers' photo of the Spitfire flyby?

O9ZQJG0.gif

Yeah, thought as much. Saw those engines and got slightly moist for a second. Sweet pics dude.

Your toys display had some amazing weapons in it. PIAT, collection of your favourite knives, even Saddam's personal gold plated SVD Dragunov.

You sure that's a bona fide Bf-109? There's one listed for RIAT, but that also turned out to be just another Buchon.

Shame they didn't use coloured smoke, would have showed up against the cloud better, even so very nice pictures!

Day 1 of the royal international air tatoo.... We didn't go, instead this is what we saw.

First ever full car jaguar built

SGBtg6s.jpg

General Montgomery's wheels

vjLZCcT.jpg

Daimler armoured car

xed2tFR.jpg

Current land speed record holder

RtnWoqr.jpg

Of course I had to look up its arse

pbzUSAh.jpg

Saw this a while ago in Das Deutsches Panzermuseum in Munster.

Now I want one.

UTlyQj1.jpg

Chrisakky u shit! At least someone was there to see the Vulcan fly pretty much last time ever.

018uGZG.jpg

More pics with better than iCrap quality on Monday babes.

Chrisakky u shitghey! At least someone was there to see the Vulcan fly pretty much last time ever.

I've been to RIAT almost every year since 2008 and they say that every single time.

It's probably true every time tbh, since they have no clue if the'll get funding or parts for the next year.

This time they said it's no longer an issue of funding and parts, but that they won't be allowed to any longer, since by now it's been in service way longer than any other Vulcan in history, so they're increasingly venturing into unknown territory.

yeah this is it fo sho. they say there is no ammount of money to keep it going. the engines it uses are unique and they have a limited service life for one, cant be replaced. the airframe has also got old.

I dunno. Maybe someone just decided that a ginormous strategic bomber carrying enough fuel on a 20 minute showcase for a hundred old warbirds to fly for hours is a larger risk?

Also, the aircraft body can't really be replaced. Warbirds are probably easier since they're way smaller.

Guest Sybeck

Might be that jet airframes suffer more stress than prop airframes - idk.  Yuppy probably knows the answer.

It's to do with the engines not the airframe, the Vulcan engines have reached the end what is considered their safe working life, after that the risk of them failing is alot higher, ww2 prop planes suffer the same but obviously operate at lesser tempatures and stress. Think I read somewhere a few years back that the spitfires only have 40-60years left in their engines, after that it would be a case of finding someone to make new ones a great cost or put them on a display hanger

Guest smartmason
Yuppy probably knows the answer.

Nope

Not so much what I saw today, its what I found, tucked away at the back of a draw, today.

My old IBM Debugging Template, this what I had to use when I started programming back in 1988. The programming language had fixed format specifications and if you got something in the wrong column or specifications types in the wrong sequence it wouldn't work.

HS1XoHH.jpg

ic0fzyP.jpg

jMFR9lg.jpg

VQdoFvW.jpg

One of the few languages to have a logic flow, every programmer memorized this as you'd be asked to recite it at job interviews. I remember struggling, at first, with the concept of output to screen or report occurring being before any data had been read from the files.

That's very cool, Vince! I was taught a very basic, abstracted version of that when i was in school. Cool to a see an actual practical employment of it.