Author Topic: New PC?  (Read 152 times)

Online Hallberg

• 1 Section
New PC?
« on: November 06, 2019, 07:06:22 AM »
I've had issues for a few years with my PC freezing for a couple of seconds while playing high end games. But it has only occurred like once an hour, so I wasn't that bothered by it. However, when playing Red Dead Redemption 2 it occurs like once every two minutes, which makes the game unplayable imo. During all of the gameplay, the cpu usage was always high, and during the freezes it hit the 100% for a few seconds. I've downloaded an analysis tool, and it seems like it's the game that is responsible for all those peaks. So my conclusion is that my CPU need to be updated.

I bought my computer in late 2012 with the following specs:
Intel® Core i5-3570K Processor
ASUS P8Z77-V, Socket-1155
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 4x4GB
PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5
Silver Power SP-S750 750W PSU
256GB SSD + 2TB HDD

I upgraded it in March 2017 with:
GeForce GTX1070 Strix 8GB
500 GB SSD
A proper cpu fan and could overclock the cpu from 3.4 to 3.8 GHz.

So upgrading a 7 year old CPU doesn't sound unreasonable to me. But only upgrading the CPU may be difficult. I'm not that knowledgeable with motherboards, but I suspect that I would have to upgrade it as well if I want a good CPU. Given the age of my computer I fell like it may be easier to just upgrade the whole computer in that case. Although I feel like the GPU still have some years in it. So my plan is to get a new PC now, but re-use the GPU and then upgrade it in a few years with a new GPU and possibly more (but not a CPU or motherboard).

Given this plan, I want a CPU that will work with high end games (lower settings are fine) for ~5 years. Should I go Intel or AMD, and how "high" to I need to go performance-wise now to reach the 5 year goal? I noted that Adz has a topic in this forum as well from Jan 2017, where he said he upgraded from an i5-3570K as well. I don't know why Adz upgraded his CPU, but it could give an indication of how low my requirements of a 5 year old CPU that "works" for high end games.

Memory-wise, I'm leaning towards staying at 16GB (2x8GB), and possibly upgrading in a few years, but getting something with a higher frequency. What frequency would you recommend?

Anything else I should consider or pay more attention to when getting a new PC?

I don't have a "budget" for this, but every cost should be motivated. I'm from a part of Sweden where people are considered to be "careful with their money", similar to the reputation of Scottish people, and I would say that I fall in that category.

Offline AdZ

• HQ's Bitch
  • 3Pl HQ
  • I put the man in Scotsman! Top Jock
Re: New PC?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 11:27:04 AM »
Yup, you would need MOBO+CPU+RAM to upgrade that I wouldn't try to keep MOBO you have, DDR3 is pretty dead these days. The rest of it should be fine to keep on the new stuff (HDD/SSD, PSU GPU). Just those 3 need updating in.

I believe the AMD processors are the shit right now, but I dont know much about them, a quick gander at logical increments points to

Ryzen 5 3600x for CPU

ASUS Prime X570-P for MOBO

DDR4 16GB for RAM

and optionally a  Noctua cooler I have a big one of these and they are excellent quality.

Not sure on your budget but thats a decent system if you ask me. As you say that GPU should be ok for a bit and RAM, I think over 16GB is a bit of a push right now.

I upgraded as part of my birthday the missus let me go a bit nuts with it! So upgraded to get a better system much like you are, the i5 was pretty good I ran it at 4.2GHz OC iirc the whole time I had it.

Made with love by Igel

Online Hallberg

• 1 Section
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 05:49:27 PM »
Thanks for the input. :)

A Ryzen 7 3700X has 8 cores instead of 6 but costs roughly 25% more. Are the extra cores overkill gaming-wise, or would it be worth to consider it?
A Ryzen 5 2600X has similar specs, but is of an older generation, while being considerably cheaper. Is the generation gap worth all that money?

Various variants of B450 seem to be more popular than X570, while cheaper. Which feature(s) of the X570 motivates the higher cost?

I was thinking about not overclocking the CPU initially, as I probably won't need the extra frequency for a couple of years and overclocking might reduce the lifespan of the component. Does that seem reasonable, or am I just stupid for not taking advantage of the overclocking possibility?
The AMD processors comes with a stock fan. If I don't overclock it, should I stick with the stock fan or get a proper fan anyway to get the heat down and for maybe less noise?

Offline AdZ

• HQ's Bitch
  • 3Pl HQ
  • I put the man in Scotsman! Top Jock
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 09:25:11 PM »
I am a Pentium man so these AMD CPUs are a bit of a mystery to me, by all means if you want to splash out then go for the 8 core, more cores always better IMO.

B450/X570 Different Chipsets, basically the X570 is better. It manages all the flow of data in the motherboard. If you have a shit Chipset with a good CPU you may not get the performance you expect. The B450 boards appear to show up in budget builds with R5 2400G CPUs. And an older one may not even utilise the CPU properly, I recall I had to make sure I got a specific chipset in mines or I would be unable to OC.

If you dont plan to OC you should be ok with the stock fan, but personally I prefer having an aftermarket one, you can get cheaper ones than i linked which are still better than a lot of the stock ones simply because they at least direct airflow out the case rather into a side of it (like stock ones normally do) which helps keep everything cooler.

OC itself, upto you I guess, I like to squeeze that little extra out mines and I have a dedicated air cooling case (I have 3x120mm Fans that blow air from the bottom up, my MOBO is rotated so the 'back' is the top of my case, i.e. warm air flows up.) and a massive CPU cooler to OC and have OC'd my last 3 CPUs and never had a problem. (tbf the first one was a pre-built OC).

Its safer than it used to be, usually the MOBOs have software to do it for you and then if you do some stress testing and it passes you should be good.

Made with love by Igel

Offline Frichael

• 2 Section
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 06:25:47 AM »
I'm in the same boat. 6 year old i7 4770k machine died (suspect mobo) but I'm not willing to risk buying a used LGA1150 mobo to test my theory.

I was looking at an i9 9900k build but that was coming in at over £800 for a mobo+cpu+ram. Then I looked at an i7 9700k build, but that was over £600, until I stumbled on some video reviews of the i5 9600k. Base clock is 3.7ghz, but can easily be pushed to 5ghz (apparently). Build price is under £400, so will probably go down that route.

Online Hallberg

• 1 Section
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 08:04:21 PM »
I've placed an order now.

Ryzen 7 3700X
ASUS Prime X570-P
Corsair Vengeance16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz DDR4 CL18
Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4

Someone had written in a forum that 3600MHz worked better with that CPU.

Thanks for all help! :)

Online Hallberg

• 1 Section
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:13:19 AM »
I received all parts earlier this week and put everything together yesterday. Everything seems to be working now, and the GPU is the bottleneck for gaming again (as it should be), while the CPU usage is below 50%.

I had a sound issue, where only the rear right speaker seemed to produce any sound. I spent roughly 15 min swapping place on the audio contacts and reading the motherboard manual, until I realised that windows had swapped audio output source to my recently plugged in headset (located near the right rear speaker).  :-[

chap