Author Topic: Arma 32-bit out of memory  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Hallberg

• 1 Section
Re: Arma 32-bit out of memory
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 09:42:03 AM »
I think I got the same error message (like a windows system error message?), but I'm not sure if it was after the CTR-training or the "fun/test op"on Tuesday.

To clarify, that's not the same error as I described at the start of the topic. The "CTR error" occurred when exiting the application. My "out of memory error" causes the application to hang itself mid op, and the "out of memory" message is only written in the rpt-file.

And as an update on that error, I didn't crash on either Tuesday or Wednesday, so it could be working. Although, I think the crashes only occurs in intense moments, when there's a lot of enemies engaging us (e.g. Sunday's op when the platoon RV was attacked by the QRF). Tuesday's op didn't include that many own troops and there weren't that many enemies engaging us simultaneously (although there were a lot of enemies on the map). Wednesday op didn't include any engagements (for my section at least).

Edit: I got the weekdays mixed up. I seem to be in full vacation-mode.

Offline iTiamo

• Rifleman - Class 4
  • Ex Members
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 11:31:39 PM »
When i switched to the 64 Bit version of Arma it auto selected "Intel TBB 4 allocator(64bit)" - not sure about the brackets bit on the end not at desktop

I've only had 2 crashes - 1 x blame laird / 1 x randomly when disconnecting after an op

Seems fairly stable since then though .....

Try system memory allocation in stead.

Also 32 bit will run out of memory often because your amount of memory is just severely limited. The game will have AT MOST 3 GB of memory available, after which Windows start loading data into your pagefile. Shoud that fill up, or if you've disabled it, your game will crash. It is important to switch to 64 bit because there is a lot more memory for the system to address, I've seen RAM usage go up to 14 GB on my system while VRAM is hitting 8 GB. 32 bit is ancient tech.

You can also read this: https://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-64-bit-executables

ANYWAY, if you for some reason just can not switch to 64 bit, turning your view distance down in the settings (Game as well as ALiVE) will use way less memory, but also you will see less.

Online Rasa

• Section Commander
  • 1 Section
  • DISSIPEL
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 12:15:14 AM »
ArmA's ran fine on 32 though...

Offline iTiamo

• Rifleman - Class 4
  • Ex Members
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 03:39:50 PM »
Yes it can run fine on 32 bit. Doesn't mean that it doesn't benefit from 64 bit massively, it can and it does.

chap