Author Topic: Arma 32-bit out of memory  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Hallberg

• 1 Section
Arma 32-bit out of memory
« on: July 10, 2017, 08:42:13 AM »
Arma randomly crashes for me every other op. When looking in the rpt file, the error is slightly different each time, but it's always related to "out of memory". I currently run the 32-bit version of Arma, which has a 4GB memory limit. The problem seems to occur more frequency than before, I suspect this may be related to changes in the repo.

I've tried using the 64-bit version, but it can't load any missions for me. I'm using windows 7, and the issue seems to be known by BI.
https://dev.arma3.com/known-issues
When I try to install the update they are suggesting I get an error message telling me it can't be applied on the computer (maybe I already have it?).

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than upgrading the OS?

Offline Friznit

• Platoon Commander
  • 3Pl HQ
Re: Arma 32-bit out of memory
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »
A few other people have had similar issues. In their case we narrowed it down to CBA keybinds and some types of keyboard.  Try changing any custom keybinds that use Windows keys (left/right windows or the app key).  Ensure they are removed from Custom Keybinds as well as Add-ons (Oprions-Controls-Configure Add-ons), and set them to something different like ctrl-x or whatever.   Typically this applies to ACE and ALiVE menus and interact keys.

Also get Win10 and run 64 bit 😀

Offline Hallberg

• 1 Section
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 11:08:17 AM »
I only had the app key bound (I don't have a left windows key on my keyboard), but it still didn't work. It was worth a try though.

Btw, I assumed that the change of keybindings were related to the 64-bit-issue and not the "out of memory"-issue.

Offline Outlaw

• Hootboii
  • 3 Section
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »
See if you have any flight sticks plugged in as well. It may give some issues as well.
Per aspera ad astra

Offline xeagle1980x

• 1 Section
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 11:25:50 AM »
Reading though that "know issue list"

32 bit OS users (especially with 2 GB of RAM) << Who the hell is running this pop tart toaster esp with Arma3?

As to your issue, In the launcher have you set the memory allocator to "default" as opposed to "system" as a test?

Offline Friznit

• Platoon Commander
  • 3Pl HQ
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 12:54:31 PM »

Btw, I assumed that the change of keybindings were related to the 64-bit-issue and not the "out of memory"-issue.

Nope.  CBA key bind callbacks cause out of memory errors on some keyboards that use very long strings for special keys.

Offline Hallberg

• 1 Section
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 09:15:46 AM »
So far I've done the following:
  • Rebound the app key (for Alive menu)
  • Unplugged flight pedals (I thought they were unplugged already)
As the error is intermittent and only occurs after a few hours of gameplay, I'll have to test it for the next few ops before knowing if it worked.

Regarding the memory allocator, I previously had not ticked that box. So I assume it uses the "default" option then ("Intel TBB 4 allocator" in my case)? Other options are "Windows allocator (system)" and "JEMalloc allocator (jemalloc_bi)". Should I tick it and set it to "default" anyway?

Offline Outlaw

• Hootboii
  • 3 Section
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 09:44:53 AM »
Close Google Chrome.
That sorted the issue for me back then.
Per aspera ad astra

Offline Hallberg

• 1 Section
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 01:26:22 PM »
I don't think that should help me. Although Chrome uses a lot of memory, it's the 4GB of memory the 32-bit application can access that's the problem for me. I have 16GB RAM, so even with both Chrome and Arma running I should have 6-7GB of RAM to spare.

Offline Outlaw

• Hootboii
  • 3 Section
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 01:37:09 PM »
It worked for me when I had the exact same issue, so it's worth a try.
Per aspera ad astra

Offline Hallberg

• 1 Section
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 02:12:21 PM »
Ok, I'll try it as well.

Offline xeagle1980x

• 1 Section
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 02:27:17 PM »
When i switched to the 64 Bit version of Arma it auto selected "Intel TBB 4 allocator(64bit)" - not sure about the brackets bit on the end not at desktop

I've only had 2 crashes - 1 x blame laird / 1 x randomly when disconnecting after an op

Seems fairly stable since then though .....

Offline Jasper

• Rifleman - Class 1
  • Ex Members
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 03:37:39 PM »
I've tried using the 64-bit version, but it can't load any missions for me. I'm using windows 7, and the issue seems to be known by BI.
https://dev.arma3.com/known-issues
When I try to install the update they are suggesting I get an error message telling me it can't be applied on the computer (maybe I already have it?).

You can check if it is installed in "Control Panel>Programs>Programs&Features>view installed updates" and then search for the KB number of the update. If it isn't there might be some dependency that is missing.

Offline xeagle1980x

• 1 Section
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 09:38:02 AM »
Ironically, I got this same message last night after the CTR training.

The only difference that i can recall was i left the server with "esc > abort > disconnect" as opposed to being pushed straight through to the disconnect screen at endex .....

Offline Outlaw

• Hootboii
  • 3 Section
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 10:13:09 AM »
Ironically, I got this same message last night after the CTR training.

The only difference that i can recall was i left the server with "esc > abort > disconnect" as opposed to being pushed straight through to the disconnect screen at endex .....

I got the same error message. I have a screenshot of it, but it's written in Dutch.
Per aspera ad astra