Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Reviews/Trailers  (Read 200794 times)

Offline Niall

• Ex Members
  • RIP Serps. Take care up there.
Movie Recommendations/Reviews/Trailers
« on: March 12, 2011, 01:36:23 AM »
The Fighter - In my eyes the best Hollywood drama from the past 5 or so years. Strong story, and Biographical, which in my eyes makes it all the more interesting.
Cinderella Man - Another boxing one. Not as good as the Fighter, but in my eyes hugely underated. Not quite top quality but worth watching none the less for another strong Biographical boxing story.
Snatch/Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrells - The Best British comedies in my eyes. Must watch films for anyone.
District 9 - Strong Sci-Fi, another top quality must watch film. Good premise, strong cast and keeps you watching.
Harry Brown - Good drama, Michael Caine on top form. Strongly mirrors Gran Torino, but in Britain. Gritty but well worth a watch.
Godfathers Series - The best Gangester series. Not too far fetched like some (Scarface) and has a good complex castm that you can watch 2 or 3 times and learn new things. 3 really isn't as bad as they say.
V for Vendetta - A personal favorite. Strong story and just generally a good film.
The Hangover - The best Hollywood comedy I have seen in a while. Funny film, original premise and generally a fun film to watch with a lady ;).

WIll add more at another time.

Feel free to add films and TV shows/series with a brief review (or longer if you have time). Put in appropraite spoilers ect.

Grand High Inquisitor of VCB.

Offline Keef

• Senior Rifleman - Class 1
  • Ex Members
Re: Movie Recommendations/Reviews.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 10:49:01 AM »
Serenity - Brilliant Sci-fi adventure with great humour mixed in (I also demand everyone watches firefly aswell)

The Departed - One of my all time favourites, Leonardo Decaprio is an undercover cop trying to find a rat in the Boston police department.

The Other Guys - Hilarious film with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. About 2 cops who are basically morons.

The Hurt Locker - Really good film about bomb disposal in Iraq, makes the brits look like tossers at one point but still a great film.

STAR WARS - I LOVE THEM ALL. - Except maybe the phantom menace.

Offline Morts

• Storeman - Class 1
  • ACoy Reservist
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 10:53:42 AM »
Restrepo - Real combat footage of the US Army in Korrengal valley. More like a documentary but still a fantastic watch!

Memento Mori - Be Mindful Of Death

Offline Numptie

• Ex Members
  • Watched and enjoyed Twilight
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 11:00:31 AM »
Serenity - Brilliant Sci-fi adventure with great humour mixed in (I also demand everyone watches firefly aswell)

currently sitting through firefly at the moment.

Offline Ben

• Ex Members
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 11:27:38 AM »
Unthinkable - Amazing drama about the US government attempting to find nuclear bombs planted in three major cities by an ex-Army Islamic extremist. Starring Samuel L Jackson, Carrie-Anne Moss and Michael Sheen

The Taking of Pelham 123 - Tense action/drama centred in a New York Subway, where armed men have hijacked a train for a ransom. Starring Denzel Washington and John Travolta.

From Paris with Love - Over-the-top action (think Bad Company 2) about two US agents attempting to stop a terrorist attack in Paris. Starring John Travolta and Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

Public Enemies - Action film following the Feds attempting to stop American gangsters John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson and Pretty Boy Floyd in the 1930s. Starring Christian Bale, Johnny Depp and James Russo.

Offline DaveP

• Ex Members
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 02:41:22 PM »
Top Gun -2 hours of topless high-fives, towel whipping and beach volleyball

American Psycho -Watch Christian Bale pose naked in front of a mirror while fucking a hooker

The Human Caterpillar -You like ass to mouth? You'll love this!

Offline Niall

• Ex Members
  • RIP Serps. Take care up there.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »

Public Enemies - Action film following the Feds attempting to stop American gangsters John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson and Pretty Boy Floyd in the 1930s. Starring Christian Bale, Johnny Depp and James Russo.

Gotta admit this film, for me, was awful. Felt too complex, with so much going on, but not enough explanation on what was going on. Plus, the shakey cameras were shocking.

If you liked it though, watch the Untouchables with Sean Connery and that bloke from The Bodyguard. A really good 1920's police one.

Also, Boardwalk Empire. A bit before that era, shows prohibition Atlantic City, and the growth of organised crime in the US. Has Meyer Lansky, Al Capone, Lucky Luciano and Arnold Rothstein.

Shit, cant forget Once Upon a Time in America aswell, watch the original 3 odd hour one. One of the best gangster films ever made, hugely underated and De Niro is on top form.

Grand High Inquisitor of VCB.

Offline Ben

• Ex Members
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 04:18:04 PM »
To each his own, but I'll have a poke about for those ones you've mentioned.

Offline Morts

• Storeman - Class 1
  • ACoy Reservist
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 04:32:22 PM »
127 Hours - Absolutely loved this film despite some bad reviews I really enjoyed it.
Dead Mans Shoes - Gangster ish film very good, funny and loads of killing

Memento Mori - Be Mindful Of Death

Offline Ben

• Ex Members
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 11:30:51 PM »
Just watched Taken, woah. Good film. Liam Neeson stars, as he attempts to save his daughter using skills he found when he was working as a spy/private security contractor.

Offline Ian

• Skimmer Class 1
  • Ex Members
  • The only true Marine.. is a SUBmarine
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 11:58:38 AM »
Infernal Affairs - Excellent Korean action/crime flick remade by Hollywood as The Departed

Project Grizzly - Quite a hard one to find, but a documentary about a slightly insane Canadian trying to build some bear proof armour

The Counterfeiters - Interesting true story flick funded by the BBC a few years ago about several jews kept apart from the rest in the concentration camps trying to forge Allied money for the Germans, and stay alive in the process.

City Of God - Graphic Brazillian gangster action from the shanty towns, no doubt where Call Of Duty and the new Fast and the Furious movies got their ideas from.

King Of Kong - Strangely captivating documentary about various obsessive gamers trying to beat the world Donkey Kong high score and be crowned "King Of Kong".

There are two types of ships... submarines and TARGETS

Offline CJ

• Ex Members
  • rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 11:59:48 AM »
Restrepo... docu-film, get on it

Offline Red

• Platoon Sergeant
  • 3Pl HQ
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 12:20:11 PM »
I didn't think much of Restrepo, even though I'd been looking forward to seeing it.

Take a look at Armadillo, similar sort of thing, but following a Danish infantry company in Helmand. Thought it was far better (be warned, it's in Danish with English sub titles.)
But what about Special Forces?

FUCK SPECIAL FORCES!

Offline Dark

• Senior Rifleman
  • VCB Community Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 12:27:50 PM »
Restrepo... docu-film, get on it

Yeh I didn't think much of Restrepo.. not sure why but it didn't really grip me.

Offline Dark

• Senior Rifleman
  • VCB Community Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 12:28:17 PM »
anyone seen Sucker punch?