Author Topic: Reading recommendations  (Read 62398 times)

Offline McV//Jack

• Ex Members
  • Don't take the biscuit!
Reading recommendations
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:14:52 PM »
Seing as we've got a thread for recommended watching, I thought we could have a thread of recommended reading for those of us who don't have of any of these dang-fangled portable video thinges to read when your on the bus/tube/train.  What books have you read that gave engaging accounts of comabt operations and/or life in the military?

Here's my list of 5 star reads:

The Forgotten Soldier - experiences of a german soldier on the eastern front in ww2
Dispatches - Vietnam war in all its madness
Chickenhawk - Vietnam Huey piolet's account of air ops in 1st cav
Black Hawk Down - think you'll all know this one!
Thunder Run - Abrams roll into Bagdad and fuck shit up
Generation Kill - Recon marines lead the way in Iraq
Apache - account around the rescue of a soldier's body in Afganistan
Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills - Story of Famous marine sniper Carlos Hancock

Any of these books are gauranteed to get you 'in the mood'.

"How do I get out of this chicken shit outfit?"

Offline Steve

• Tache Enthusiast
  • Ex Members
  • Pew pew
Re: Reading recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 05:42:05 PM »
A Million Bullets is pretty good. It's basically about Herrick 4, and gives a fairly good insight into what was actually going on in Helmand, as well as looking at a lot of the reasons why things haven't been going smoothly. It is also the first book I've ever read with the word "hom" in it.

Anyone who recommends anything by Stephen E. Ambrose is going on my list of people to ND into next mission.

Offline Flufball

• Platoon Medic
  • VCB Community Member
  • Pants Corporal
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 05:44:51 PM »
Anyone who recommends anything by Stephen E. Ambrose is going on my list of people to ND into next mission.

But I was playing Call of Duty and I so loved Pegasus Bridge!
I made Steve look stupid, and all I got was AIDS along with this signature. Umweeoo!

Prydain

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 06:07:53 PM »
I have just picked up an original printed copy of Seven Pillars of Wisdom from a stash of mostly shitty books from a recently dead relitive, it is a book I can easily read again. I also looted a reprinted version of Letters on the English, I have yet to read it but it is Voltaire so it can't be bad.

Offline Chris

• Retired.
  • Ex Members
  • Yarrr!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 06:32:23 PM »
Sniper One and 3 Para both did the rounds last year, A Million Bullets is apparently pretty good.

MENERGY!!!

Offline ul

• Ex Members
  • Mouth shot Double tap
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 06:46:19 PM »
For queen and country by spud Ely is pretty good.

[Pte] Ul [1] section lmg lover and all round mong

Offline McV//Jack

• Ex Members
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 07:17:46 PM »
A Million Bullets is pretty good. It's basically about Herrick 4, and gives a fairly good insight into what was actually going on in Helmand, as well as looking at a lot of the reasons why things haven't been going smoothly. It is also the first book I've ever read with the word "hom" in it.

Agreed!  ;D

Offline Red

• Platoon Sergeant
  • 3Pl HQ
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 08:45:28 PM »
One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer, by Capt N Fick USMC. He was the tp boss in Generation Kill. His book covers his initial YO training, deployment to Ghanners in 01 and his tenure as a recce tp commander in Iraq.
But what about Special Forces?

FUCK SPECIAL FORCES!

Zippy

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 10:27:42 AM »
In Foreign Fields by Dan Collins - Personal accounts of British military medal winners from Iraq and Afghanistan, inspirational.

Apache by Ed Macy - Ed's account of flying the Longbow in Afghanistan and of the Operation Jugroom rescue when two Apaches went in with RM's strapped outside the cockpit to rescue an injured colleague.  Awesome read.

Offline McV//Jack

• Ex Members
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 02:35:05 PM »
What with having no gfx card for two weeks, I needed a 'mil fix' and so decided to read a book.  I bought Goose Green by Mark Adkin.  I thought reading another book about the Falklands war would be a waste of time but the book had excellent reviews on Amazon so a gave it a spin...

This book is excellent.  I thoroughly recommend everyone in VCB read it.  It's a very detailed description and analaysis of the battle for Goose Green by 2 para on 28 May 1982.  What makes this book so interesting, is the way the author focuses on the battle, the tactics and fighting on the ground - there's none of the usual first 100 pages on training, getting there and telling you how hard the para's are (that becomes obvious from what happens once they reach the Falklands).

It gives an account of the action from the perspective of the battalian commander all the way down to the individual sections and soldiers .  It was a big eye opener for me reading just how a close run thing Goose Green was and how much of a risk the battle was in the first place (in fact it really brings home how much of a risk the whole land campaign side of the war was).  It is also about leadership, how and why decisions are made and how those orders are executed down to the section level.

For me, being in VCB has been an eye openning glimpse into the world of real military doctrine, and as such I consider this book a detailed example of how such doctrine gets applied in war.  Target indication, friendly fire, suprssing fire, co-ordinating platoon movements, skirmishing, leaving casulaties behind, pressing the attack, mis- communication, crossing fields of fire, clearing comms, formations: everything we do in ArmA is here (it is also very pertinant to a lot of the stuff being discussed in the Infantry Feedback thread  http://www.volcbat.com/forum/index.php?topic=1482.0.   Goose Green is also particularly relevant to VCB as much like us,   2 para had little in the way of artillery or air support during key points of the battle.

Anyways, I could go on...step away from the keyboard - read it!   :)

Offline Dark

• Senior Rifleman
  • VCB Community Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 03:09:56 PM »

Apache by Ed Macy - Ed's account of flying the Longbow in Afghanistan and of the Operation Jugroom rescue when two Apaches went in with RM's strapped outside the cockpit to rescue an injured colleague.  Awesome read.

Just reading this at the mo, its v.good. Has anyone seen/read his new one?

kush

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 05:46:55 PM »
Quartered Safe Out Here was a fooking good read about the authors experience of him and his section fighting japs in Burma. Heavy shit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quartered-Safe-George-MacDonald-Fraser/dp/0007105932/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255624903&sr=8-1-spell

This was also good. The account Bravo 2 Zero's CO. Totally rips Chris Ryan apart:
Eye of the Storm: 25 Years in Action with the SAS

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eye-Storm-Years-Action-SAS/dp/1843170523/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255625108&sr=8-2

Offline McV//Jack

• Ex Members
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 07:41:50 PM »
Quartered Safe Out Here was a fooking good read about the authors experience of him and his section fighting japs in Burma. Heavy shit.

This was also good. The account Bravo 2 Zero's CO. Totally rips Chris Ryan apart:
Eye of the Storm: 25 Years in Action with the SAS

Yeah, read the latter and it does kinda show C Ryan as bit of a prat.  That's the good thing about authentic reads, makes you realise what BS others write.

Will give the other a try, haven't read anything about the conflict  in Burma.

Offline Niall

• Ex Members
  • RIP Serps. Take care up there.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 08:19:54 PM »
Whats a book?

The nearest to military books I read are Chris Ryan ones. Or Matt Lynn Death Force is a good SASOMGDELTASNIPERSPECIALFORCESSSSSSSSSS book.

And Harry Potter

Grand High Inquisitor of VCB.

Offline Dark

• Senior Rifleman
  • VCB Community Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 08:25:02 PM »
The vietnam ground zero series by Eric Helm are a great no nonsense read if you can get hold of them :)