Author Topic: "Best of British": Your favourite photos of British forces in action  (Read 143145 times)

Offline McV//Jack

• Ex Members
  • Don't take the biscuit!
Re: "Best of British": Your favourite photos of British forces in action
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 10:53:32 PM »
The spectre "may" have been called in by UK forces for all we know.
And the Belgrano shows no UK forces in it just some fucked argies bobbing up and down, both are excellent pics
and representive of what happens when you fuck with HM forces.
I thought I'd add this as it's somewhat iconic and a brilliant image, almost like a cover from the commando comics.

Yeah this pick has it all!
Bayonet - check!
Explosions - check!
Cool kit - check!
Guys running around - check!
But crucially:
Tache - check!
"How do I get out of this chicken shit outfit?"

Offline Red

• Platoon Sergeant
  • 3Pl HQ
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 11:01:50 AM »
Bayonet - check!
Troop boss with his bayonet fixed is warry as fuck, however, Capt. M-Green loses points for having a ginger 'tache there.

Weren't our chaps covered in flammable clothing because of defence cuts?
Wouldn't suprise me, however the ships had high aluminium content which meant they had a nasty habit of melting when hit by an Exocet or GP bomb. Goose may know more?
But what about Special Forces?

FUCK SPECIAL FORCES!

Offline Imshi-Yallah

• Sgt Elias
  • VCB Community Member
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 11:10:19 AM »
It's so obvious that you haven't finished your training yet.

Everyone knows that the enemy fear the ginger tache more than death or even consensual heterosexual sex with a woman old enough to buy cigarrettes.
What colour is the boathouse at Hogwarts?

Offline Red

• Platoon Sergeant
  • 3Pl HQ
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 11:11:19 AM »
Not as much as we fear gingers!

FUCK SPECIAL FORCES!

Offline Ian

• Skimmer Class 1
  • Ex Members
  • The only true Marine.. is a SUBmarine
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 07:24:29 PM »

Wouldn't suprise me, however the ships had high aluminium content which meant they had a nasty habit of melting when hit by an Exocet or GP bomb. Goose may know more?

It's the way modern ships are built sadly. Because missile attacks are too deadly, and armour really doesn't help all that much, the higher ups build them to be lighter and with as little radar profile as possible. Unfortunately, this results in them being very flimsy.

There are two types of ships... submarines and TARGETS

Hovis

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 07:43:40 PM »

It's the way modern ships are built sadly. Because missile attacks are too deadly, and armour really doesn't help all that much, the higher ups build them to be lighter and with as little radar profile as possible. Unfortunately, this results in them being very flimsy.

Wasn't there a cheeky little bit of magnesium in them back in the Falklands era? I heard there was something in there that was proper unpleasant when ablaze, typically they hadn't actually figured on the ship actually taking a hit. This is a common theme for the Royal Navy which has a fine record for ships that go boom. HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse (WTF pwnt in 1941 by Japanese torpedo bombers), HMS Hood (popped by the Bismark in about two minutes), HMS Invincible (went up after a magazine hit with all but six of a crew of eleven hundred at Jutland, HMS Queen Mary (also at Jutland, twelve hundred dead, magazine explosion) and not to mention those ships in the Falklands. If you go to war with the British navy so long as you can hit what you're aiming at you're guaranteed some world class pyrotechnics.

Edited because the smiley looks fucking evil.

Offline Red

• Platoon Sergeant
  • 3Pl HQ
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 07:49:24 PM »
Yeah, fucking funny that.

FUCK SPECIAL FORCES!

Offline Imshi-Yallah

• Sgt Elias
  • VCB Community Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 07:51:09 PM »
Inside I'm laughing, outside...not so much.
What colour is the boathouse at Hogwarts?

Offline Tarnish

• Ex Members
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 09:34:09 PM »
That horrible footage of HMS Barham going up springs to mind, you can see blokes walking on the side of the hull just before, gives me the shivers the poor buggers.

:(

Prydain

Offline Steve

• Tache Enthusiast
  • Ex Members
  • Pew pew
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 08:40:48 PM »
Was just going to link to that.

Hovis

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 08:41:22 PM »
No better place for this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00gd41j/Frontline_Afghanistan/

Welsh cavalry in trucks. What's that about? :)

Seriously though, want Mastiffs. How fucking cool are they?

Offline Tarnish

• Ex Members

Offline Ian

• Skimmer Class 1
  • Ex Members
  • The only true Marine.. is a SUBmarine
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 10:01:48 AM »

Wasn't there a cheeky little bit of magnesium in them back in the Falklands era? I heard there was something in there that was proper unpleasant when ablaze, typically they hadn't actually figured on the ship actually taking a hit. This is a common theme for the Royal Navy which has a fine record for ships that go boom. HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse (WTF pwnt in 1941 by Japanese torpedo bombers)

That engagement is quite popularly referred to by historians as being the day that capital ships handed over the baton to carrier borne aircraft as the cutting edge of naval firepower. Also about that period the Atlantic gap (The area between America and UK) had been closed and U-Boats were fearing the pressure of the mighty sunderland and it's kin, Naval Airpower was coming into it's own. (This is still in honesty until the moving of nuclear reactors into sub's)

The worst embarrasment for the navy though is this one, I'm afraid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-boat_Campaign_(World_War_I)#First_successes

Yet again, the higher ups were unprepared for the war we we're going to fight..

There are two types of ships... submarines and TARGETS

Offline McV//Jack

• Ex Members
  • Don't take the biscuit!
"How do I get out of this chicken shit outfit?"